It is not always about the right bleaching compound or even rushing to the dentist sometimes to get whiter teeth; you just need to eat the right combination of foods and practice good oral hygiene. There are some foods that naturally clean and brighten up your smile, all without the need for frequent whitening treatments.
What Foods Naturally Whiten Teeth?
If you want to whiten your smile, try incorporating these natural teeth whiteners in your daily diet:
- Apples - Apples scrub your teeth naturally and contain malic acid, which is found in some toothpaste. It increases saliva production and cleans your teeth.
- Pineapple - This is one of the only foods that naturally contain bromelain, an anti-inflammatory and cleansing compound. It is also an effective stain-removing ingredient.
- Broccoli - It is not just high in fibre, it is also a great way to clean and polish your teeth. According to the European Journal of Dentistry, broccoli’s iron content offers your teeth protection against enamel-degrading acids.
- Raisins - Raisins may be sticky and sweet, but they are one of the few “sweet” foods that are good for your teeth. They clean the mouth and stimulate saliva while also preventing plaque and stain buildup.
- Cheese - Cheese has calcium, which keeps your teeth strong, but it also has phosphorous, which is a protein that naturally protects tooth enamel. Also, the lactic acid in cheese prevents tooth decay and hard cheeses can actually help clean your teeth.
- Strawberries - Strawberries are also rich in malic acid and contain ellagitannins; these are antioxidants that naturally reduce stain-attracting bacteria. Their added vitamin C can also help prevent gum disease.
Know What Foods to Avoid
Even if you eat natural teeth-whitening foods, you must avoid those that can hinder or counteract the healthy, natural foods. Some foods/drinks you should avoid or consume minimally in order to have whiter teeth include:
- Sugary drinks - including soda, fruit juices, etc.
- Candy and heavily-sugared snacks
- Starchy foods that raise acid levels in the mouth, such as pastas and breads
- Sugary breakfast cereals
- Coffee, tea and red wine
Even with the best diet, sometimes you do need professional whitening from a dentist in Edmonton. The Azarko Dental Group can help whiten your teeth with our convenient in-office whitening treatments. You can now use our online booking program to schedule a whitening visit too.
Azarko Dental Group’s Edmonton dental clinic are accepting new patients, so come in and see how we can brighten up your smile. Schedule your appointment with one of our dentists in Edmonton today.